St John the Baptist Church Hall
The Church of St John the Baptist Sunday School (now our Church Hall) was built in the grounds of St John the Baptist Church, Waimate North in 1877. At a later but unrecorded date, possibly about 1950, the Sunday School was relocated outside the cemetery and placed between the Church and the Vicarage (the original Mission House, now Te Waimate Mission House), where it stands today.
Built from New Zealand Kauri, it was originally roofed with shingles, then later iron, and now has been roofed with shingles again. Its timber framing, unpainted kauri interior and timber sash windows are typical of many rural Northland buildings of the nineteenth century and is classed as category 1 under the Historic Places Trust.