Holy Trinity’s History

People have been worshiping at Pakaraka since 1850.

Tangtawhenua used the land for crops and the volcanic cone Te Pouerua as a pa. Haki Taipa and grandfather of Remana Kiwikiwi was a signatory to the sale of Pakaraka land to Henry Williams in 1832. A tenth of the land was to be set aside as an endowment for a church.

Missionaries came to Pakaraka over 200 years ago. Rev Henry and Marianne Williams wanted to serve God and were accepted by the Church Missionary Society as missionaries. So they came here to New Zealand at the time this was seen as a very dangerous and isolate life. They wanted to worship God here with their family and friends so they built a church which they called Holy Trinity.

Henry and Marianne and their family move from Paihia to Pakaraka in early June 1850. At first they worshipped in a barn. They pulpit in the current church was record as being used on 23 April 1851 in Marianne’s letters and the first church built by Marianne and Henry’s and their sons opened on April 20, 1851.

The current church was opened for worship on 27 November 1873 and has been in use ever since.

Missionaries came to Pakaraka over 200 years ago. Rev Henry and Marianne Williams wanted to serve God and were accepted by the Church Missionary Society as missionaries. So they came here to New Zealand at the time this was seen as a very dangerous and isolate life. They wanted to worship God here with their family and friends so they built a church which they called Holy Trinity.

Henry and Marianne and their family move from Paihia to Pakaraka in early June 1850. At first they worshipped in a barn. They pulpit in the current church was record as being used on 23 April 1851 in Marianne’s letters and the first church built by Marianne and Henry’s and their sons opened on April 20, 1851.

The current church was opened for worship on 27 November 1873 and has been in use ever since.

Our Sunday Services

Our services are designed as a creative whole, where the sermon, music, prayers and readings are all designed to reinforce one central idea.

We appreciate the musical heritage of the past and use older songs and hymns, we also choose to use more modern music and songs that reflect in fresher ways our heart for God.

We also attempt to bring other creative elements into our services whenever possible. People are encouraged to participate if they want to in readings and prayers. The communion part of the service (Eucharist) is lead by a priest.

Although we do not have a formal Sunday School, children are warmly welcomed at our churches and there is a special area in each of the churches with toys and activities for their enjoyment.

Waimate North Parish Anglican Churches

Click the image above for a 360 degree view of the church
(Opens in a new window)

1st Sunday

Pakaraka – Holy Trinity

Service every 1st Sunday of the month

3rd Sunday

Okaihau – St Catherine

Service every 3rd Sunday of the month

4th Sunday

Waimate North –
St John the Baptist

Service every 4th Sunday of the month